Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Summer Sonic 2007

August 11, 2007 was one of the hottest summer day in Osaka. We, Jet, Mars and I were headed out to watch Summer Sonic in Maishima. We had a little problem getting there since we got a little lost and went out of the station eventhough we weren't supposed to. But it all worked out in the end. We were able to get to the place. There were shuttle buses that took the people to the actual venue. When people were lining up towards the shuttle bus station, I was amazed. I've never seen so many young people in Japan. I thought the country was suffering from the lack of youth, but as I saw the crowd of young people, I thought, THAT IS SO UNTRUE!

This picture was taken inside the shuttle bus heading towards Maishima.

So finally we got to Maishima and started lining up for the wristbands(They give wristbands for you in exchange for the ticket). Then we went out to look for Tomo-chan and his wife. Both of them were already lining up to buy some summer sonic official goods. We lined up for a while also but lost patience and finally gave up and went out of the line and just asked Tomo-chan to buy stuff for us while we went out to look for some food.

This picture was taken after we lined up for the wristbands.

Mars, me, Jet and Shoko-chan (Tomo-chan's wife) after lunch at the parking lot.

The event had many sponsors and most of them were giving away stuff. I got around 3 towels, one from Tower Records, 2 from Docomo then I also bought one official Summer Sonic towel.

Maishima had 5 stages. We mostly stayed at the Sky Stage were most of the alternative bands performed like Hinder, Avenged Sevenfold and The OffSpring.

This is Sky Stage with Hinder performing at the back.

This is the Sky Stage after Hinder's performance.
The most surprising performer for me during that day was Cindy Lauper. I admit that I was pretty curious as to how she will sing in the concert. I knew that she's NOT young anymore. When she came out for the first song she was wearing a black wig. She looked like an older Ashlee Simpson in it but when she sang, it was just AWESOME! Her voice didn't change throughout the years. It was unbelievable that she could carry out all the hight pitch parts of her song, flawlessly! From then on, I have gathered a new profound respect for her. She is one awesome and powerful performer. She might not have the same incredible physique as Madonna, and she dances really weird too...but in overall performance and voice quality, SHE STILL ROCKS!

No comments: